Search This Blog

Saturday 9 July 2011

Stevie Wonder’s “My Cherie Amour”


The song “My Cherie Amour” is originally written in 1966 but released in 1969; it is a soul classic by Stevie Wonder. This song was co-written by Wonder, Sylvia Moy and Henry Cosby (he also served as producer of the song). 

The song was based on Wonder’s life, a story about a woman whom he was fell in love with while in school at the Michigan School for the Blind in Lansing, Michigan. Moreover, this song was written as “Oh My Marcia” for Wonder’s girlfriend but after they broke up, the lyrics were changed to cherie amour. In 1969, the song became a number 4 hit on both the Billboard pop R&B singles charts.    

Chart Performance           
               
Chart (1969)                                                        Peak Position
U.S. Billboard Hot 100                                              4
U.S. Billboard Easy Listening                                      3
U.S. Billboard Hot Rhythm & Blues Singles                4
UK Singles Chart                                                        4
Canadian RPM Top Singles                                         14
Canadian RPM Adult Contemporary                           14

Lyrics:  
My Cherie Amour
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

My Cherie Amour, lovely as a summer's day
My Cherie Amour, distant as the Milky Way
My Cherie Amour, pretty little one that I adore
You're the only girl my heart beats for
How I wish that you were mine

In a cafe or sometimes on a crowded street
I've been near you, but you never notice me
My Cherie Amour, won't you tell me how could you ignore
That behind that little smile I wore
How I wish that you were mine

Maybe someday you'll see my face among the crowd
Maybe someday I'll share your little distant cloud
Oh, Cherie Amour, pretty little one that I adore
You're the only girl my heart beats for
How I wish that you were mine

La la la la la la
La la la la la la



Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Cherie_Amour_%28song%29
           http://www.lyrics007.com/Stevie%20Wonder%20Lyrics/My%20Cherie%20Amour%20Lyrics.html   

Photo credit: http://viagemusicaldiversos.wordpress.com/2008/06/


2 comments:

  1. I love this song very romantic. Hello there stopping by today. Have a blessed Sunday

    ReplyDelete